Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: [avrdude-dev] [RFC] avrdude Feature RequestandCal

From: Volkmar_WebDE
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: [avrdude-dev] [RFC] avrdude Feature RequestandCall for Volunteers
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:51:26 +0100

Hi,

Bernard Fouche wrote:

> - subcontractors flashing the chips want hex files. They usually manage
> many different target MCU and not having the same file format for all
> targets will just add complexity since they'll want to fall back to hex
> files anyway. Unless keil/etc move also to this ELF feature, I think
> that only a very few companies will use the ELF format for that purpose,
> all others will stick to the well-known-do-as-usual hex file format.

You have still the possibility to use hex files for programming the
devices/provide the files to your subcontractor.

> - Setting the fuse in the source code does not allow one to perform a
> complete test of a .ELF and its .HEX derivatives: if you test a version
> not locking the chip and not calling the bootloader (for instance), and
> have to recompile or relink to enable these features, then you must
> again test the complete image since the .ELF is not the same. This is
> the only way to be sure that a particular .ELF file is validated. So
> you'll end up testing .hex files that won't need recompilation/link later..

You can still change the fuses on your device for testing/developing.

> - Fuse bytes are particular to a chip for a given set of features to
> activate/disactivate and used when flashing a chip. Source code is
> designed to pass thru macro processors, be as much as portable as
> possible, etc. I don't see any portability/simplicity improvement here
> if the fuses have to be defined and managed in .c/.h files. The solution
> will be to fiddle Makefiles to use conditionnal compilation or macros:
> the problem will move from avrudude command line options to buried
> macros in source files.

I do not agree at this point. The source code depends on features
which you can enable/disable with the fuses. The integration of
defining the fuses in the source code ensures that you have one
location where all the needed features are defined.

[snip]

> I would prefer much more to be able to tell avrdude to use such or such
> feature offered by the fuses thru the command line instead of
> calculating the values for a particular MCU. For instance:

> --fuse-set-reset-vector=bootloader --fuse-set-bootloader-size=2k

I see this as an alternative solution to change the fuse settings
differently as they are defined in the source code. But if you are
already using the complete tool chain, in my opinion this is only
needed for testing purpose and usually this shouldn't change often.
After verifying the fuse setting, it is possible to move the
definition to the source code.

Just my 2 cents
Volkmar