[avrdude-dev] Problems with -O2 and gcc-4.0 on Darwin

From: Ned Konz
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Problems with -O2 and gcc-4.0 on Darwin
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 10:42:00 -0700

FYI...

On my system (Mac OS X 10.4.5), compiling avrdude 5.1 with -O2 and using gcc 4.0.1 (from Apple) as the compiler results in an avrdude that hangs after the first packet, waiting for (apparently) lots more bytes (in jtagmkII_recv_frame()).

I added a debug message in jtagmkII_recv_frame, in sDATA where it's getting a byte at a time; there's a loop var called 'l' that isn't getting set correctly:

avrdude: Recv: . [82]
another byte (msglen=28, l=175982)
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
another byte (msglen=28, l=175983)

Using -O0 and gcc-4.0 works OK, as does -O2 with gcc-3.3

Moving the declaration of l into the while loop lets it go farther, but then it gets checksum errors, because msglen is garbage.

My recommendation is to use gcc-3.3.

--
Ned Konz
address@hidden