Re: [avrdude-dev] Before a release...

From: Michael Mayer
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Before a release...
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:57:19 +0100

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 11:58:01 -0700, E. Weddington wrote:
> Before releasing a new, improved, and faster avrdude, issues that might be
> nice to be resolved:
[...]

> 3. What of the patch (in the Patch Manager) which supposedly provides
> support for AVR Butterfly? I don't know how extensive it is and I have no
> opinions either way whether or not to include it.

Basicly the patch modifies avr910.c. The structure of the file is not
changed but some procedures are added and some if-clauses are modified to
reflect the different handling of a real AVR910 device and a butterfly
device.

You may want to include this information in the README or NEWS file:
+++++
Support for the AVR Butterfly is added to the avr910 module. Using a RS232
connection to the PC the Butterfly acts like a kind of avr910 programmer,
but it uses something like a "extended subset" of the complete command set
as specified in AVR109: Only the commands "aAeEPLptxyTSVs" are accepted, 'x'
and 'y' are replaced by dummy functions. To access the memory the "buffer
load" mode using the commands 'b', 'B' and 'g' is used. This buffer mode
speeds up the communication a lot: The complete 16kB flash is read or
written in 10 seconds (Duron 900).

To communicate with the butterfly you have to start the bootloader manually
using the joystick-like switch as described in the documentation and then
pressing down the button while invoking avrdude for the first time after
entering the bootloader.
++++++

The rest of the patch deals with a changed version string in configure.ac
(now: 4.2.0butterfly1) and doesn't matter for a real release.

  Michael