Re: [avrdude-dev] Programmer errors on linux, help!

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Programmer errors on linux, help!
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 12:14:47 -0400

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 06:05:48PM +0200, Janusz Dobrowolski wrote:

> I use avrdude with parallel programmer (alf type hardware) on my linux box
> (Celeron 233 / Debian 3.0) with no pronblems. But on my other computer (AMD
> Duron 1000/Debian 3.0) avrdude fails. The program contacts programmer,
> read IC signature bytes (ok) and try to program device. Verifying fails on
> first bytes.
> When When I try rerd IC some times, consecutive reads differs. Most often
> there are only 0xff's read, sometimes some beginning bytes are read ok.

Could this perhaps be due to power supply issues?  If you are using
the PC parallel port to supply power to the device, try powering using
an external power source instead since there is a good deal of
variation between the parallel ports of different computers.  Your
Duron system may not be able to source enough current to fully power
your chips.

-Brian
--
Brian Dean