RE: [avrdude-dev] program error?

From: Sander Pool
Subject: RE: [avrdude-dev] program error?
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 19:49:07 -0800

Well, as the avrdude developers you can certainly make it behave just the
way you like it. As a -user- though I would say that I don't like programs
that need flags to do the right thing. You say 'if you don't erase first,
the upload fails as is expected'. Brian wrote something similar. Still you
feel that you need to tell it explicitly to erase? IMO that's just being
difficult for no reason. The purpose of these tools is to make life easier.

All kinds of tools (unix and otherwise) have default behavior based on what
common usage is. I don't have any statistics but I'd say it's safe to say
that avr-dude's most common usage is to flash the AVR with a hex file. I'd
say this should be achievable by simply saying 'avrdude file.hex' as the
programmer and part type are in the conf file.

        Sander