[avrdude-dev] make distcheck

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: [avrdude-dev] make distcheck
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 11:17:10 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I've been doing more tweaking and testing of the autotools build. I'm
noticing that automake 1.5 and 1.6 are failing to run 'make distcheck'
due to the pdf doc build, whereas 1.7 handles it smoothly.

Instead of continuing to add tweaks and rules to the Makefile.am and
configure.ac files to accommodate various versions of autoconf and
automake, I would rather just focus on specific versions (2.57 and
1.7.x). This would make the Makefile.am files simpler, which is always
a good thing, since we won't have to write as many custom rules.

If this is acceptable, I can cleanup some of the Makefile.am files.
Otherwise, I'll have to add some more rules.

Attached is a proposed change of the bootstrap file to force the
correct versions. To override the defaults, either set AC_VER and
AM_VER in your enviroment or ACLOCAL, AUTOHEADER, AUTOCONF, and
AUTOMAKE. Of course, there are other ways to handle this...

You can grab the needed source with:

  wget ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/autoconf/autoconf-2.57.tar.bz2
  wget ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/automake/automake-1.7.3.tar.bz2

On my system, I've configured and installed the autotools as such:

For autoconf:
  ./configure --prefix=$HOME/local --program-suffix='-2.57'

For automake:
  ./configure --prefix=$HOME/local --program-suffix='-1.7'

Then just add $HOME/local/bin to your $PATH.

This seems to be the least intrusive way to handle this.

Ted