[avrdude-dev] Connection problems,

From: Daniel Williamson
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Connection problems,
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 12:53:21 -0000

Hi, I started using AVR Dude last week after finding out pony prog didn't
support the mega32.

With Eric's help I got AVR Dude working on windows and created a device
called pony which works with the pony prog / STK200 hardware with a
programming LED.

I haven't put the mega 32 information into the config file yet since I've
spent most of the last week working with mega 128's.

My query is that I'm running avr dude using a batch file as follows.

avrdude -p m128 -P lpt1 -c pony -m eeprom -o temp.hex
avrdude -p m128 -P lpt1 -c pony -m flash -e
avrdude -p m128 -P lpt1 -c pony -m flash -i 5003.hex

The idea being it takes a copy of the eeprom data, erases the device and
then loads the flash.

This works fine, unless I have Hyper terminal running, in which case it'll
read the eeprom, erase the device and then program the flash but VERY
slowly,  If I close the connection to hyper terminal (I don't have to shut
the program down, just disconnect from the com port), the programming speeds
up back to normal speed.

I've also noticed that any comms coming in from the serial port stopps
whilst the program is running, even though I'm using the parallel port (I
added the -P lpt1 in case it made a difference)

does the software try and open both the serial and parallel ports?

I'm using a Binary sent to me by Eric which he's going to include into the
latest winAvr so I don't have the code to look at.

I'm using windows 2000 pro, and the bundled hyper terminal program.
Thanks Dan.