Re: [avr-libc-dev] the latest release?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] the latest release?
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 08:37:35 +0200

As Ivan Shmakov wrote:

>       Also to note is that as per [1] the release date is 2011-12-29,
>       but configure.ac's avr_libc_reldate [3] says it's 2011-12-28.

If I read the mailinglist articles again, I remember there had been
some unexpected trouble in preparing that release (the tree was
broken, and I had to backout some changes before rolling it).  That
probably explains the difference in the date (intended date was Dec
28, actual then Dec 29), as well as the other slips (forgotten
announcements etc.).

>     Supports “long” integers' arithmetics, as well as fixed and floating
>     point numbers,

Well, that's more a feature of the compiler.  Perhaps you want to
replace the “long” by `64-bit' to be more exact?  (Though AVR-GCC's
64-bit support, while working, is not its brightest side, arguably.)

> and standard mathematic functions.  Contains
>     facilities to control the peripherals within MCU.

I'd probably put that a bit more generic:

"Contains facilities to control specific aspects of the MCU, like
peripherals, memory areas, interrupts, power management, as well as
utilities for calculating delay cycles, CRCs, baud rate prescalers
etc."

>     Along with a cross-environment based on GCC and GNU Binutils, and
>     also debugging (AVaRICE, GDB, SimulAVR) and executable images
>     toolkit for an embedded systems software developer.

I probably wouldn't mention UISP anymore.  It's been unmaintained for
more than 7 years now.

(freecode)

>       Well, berndtrog's [6] projects aren't seem to be updated in
>       years, so I guess it's the time for someone else to step up to
>       the task.  (I could probably maintain the entry myself, although
>       not sure for how long, but I don't see there a conventional
>       “announcements” mailing list, and neither do I seem to find the
>       announcements in this mailing list.)

See above, not formally announcing 1.8.0 was a mistake caused by the
circumstances around it.  Normally, I do announce releases to the
mailinglist.