Re: [avr-libc-dev] CRC-8-CCITT

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] CRC-8-CCITT
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 20:29:08 +0100

As Frédéric Nadeau wrote:

> "Alternatively, this software may be distributed under the terms of
> BSD  license. See README and COPYING for more details."

OK, in that case it's fine.

> I'm no license expert and my understanding is that GPL and BSD are
> defacto incompatible... So I don't know if one can actually release
> under both license.

No, we can release it under one of them, as the author explicitly
permitted this.  In fact, the <util/crc16.h> already has the license
rules on top, so what needs to be done is to add Dave's name there,
and he should also be mentioned in the AUTHORS file.

> From this, I'll start working on a patch. I doubt it will be ready for
> 1.7.1, this will highly depend on the author responce.

1.7.2 should be fine, ideally, I'd like to have 1.7.1 out by end of
next week, and 1.7.2 shortly after, with the option to include as many
of the "ready to go" bugfixes and patches as could be incorporated.
For 1.7.1, my priority is to get bugfixes for fatal bugs in but not
much more.  (If other developers like Anitha are fast enough to get
their highest prioritized additions in within that timeframe, that's
OK, of course.)