Re: [avr-libc-dev] CRC-8-CCITT

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] CRC-8-CCITT
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 18:55:37 +0100

As Frédéric Nadeau wrote:

> I found this BSD project that has the code
> implemented and it worked for me.
> http://www.google.com/codesearch/p?hl=fr#M2_HPf5NDc8/trunk/2009/robostix/robostix/Shared/Crc8.c

Unfortunately, despite of google claiming so in the header, it's not
BSD-licensed but GPLed.  However, the author's name and email address
are given in the code (and we've heard of him before in AVR-land), so
you could ask him whether he'd like to contribute it to avr-libc under
a BSD-style license.

Yes, we'd definitely welcome it in the form of a patch, ready for
integration, including doxygen-style comments for the documentation.

> The util/crc16.h (well I'm not quite sure why it
> is called crc16, but that is another story)

Because it once started out as a header file containing three
different CRC-16 calculations.  The iButton CRC-8 had been added
later on.