[avr-libc-dev] Re: Open Source license for embedded systems

From: David Brown
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Re: Open Source license for embedded systems
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 21:39:45 +0100

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
As Weddington, Eric wrote:

Would something like that be of interest to the avr-libc developers?

I can't speak for all avr-libc developers, but I would personally be
fine with it. I feel that it would adhere to the spirit of the
license and the spirit of the avr-libc project, in that you are
giving credit to the original authors. I don't care if my actual
name was in the document or not. If someone wants to truly find out,
then they can.

I entirely agree with that.  Providing an URL there seems like a good
compromise to me.

This would be particularly neat if there were a simpler URL, such as www.avr-libc.org (which could then redirect to the www.nongnu.org site). That would have the advantage of being a shorter and clearer URL, more obvious than the existing home URL, and unchanged if you later decided to move hosting to another site for some reason. (Not that it's hard to find with google, of course.)

If the developers here reach an agreement on how they would like copyright notices to be used, could it be added to the FAQ? After all, license questions *are* frequently asked (or they should be!).

mvh.,

David Brown