RE: [avr-libc-dev] Open Source license for embedded systems

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [avr-libc-dev] Open Source license for embedded systems
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 09:28:35 -0700

I assume that you heard that Atmel *rejected* the Microchip offer?:
<http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&tab=wn&ned=us&ie=UTF-8&ncl=1264242327>

> What's your opinion on this ? How did you deal with this ?

That clause says to reproduce the copyright in the documentation. The main
point is attributing credit where it is due. You cannot promote your software
as completely 100% written by you, or more importantly, that somehow you own
the copyright to avr-libc (as an example).

Yes avr-libc has been used in commercial products, without problems. In
practice, many people do not put the copyright notice in their documentation
even though they are supposed to. I don't have a big problem with that and I am
a copyright holder in a number of parts of avr-libc. However, I would care if
someone else said that they wrote avr-libc (when they didn't), or if someone
said that they owned all the copyright of avr-libc (which they don't).

The spirit of the avr-libc project is that the software should be freely
available for use in both commercial products and non-commercial projects, as
the user sees fit. And that owners of commercial products do not have to open
up their firmware just because they are using avr-libc. Just don't say that you
own avr-libc.