Re: [avr-libc-dev] [RFC] New eeprom.h

From: Shaun Jackman
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] [RFC] New eeprom.h
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:32:38 -0800

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Rick Altherr <address@hidden> wrote:
>  It was on the mailing list.  There are only one of each, but they are
>  inline functions defined in the header so they will be correct for
>  every device.  The address of that inline function is passed to the
>  library routines.  That will cause a single copy of the inline
>  function to be generated as a true function in the binary so the
>  address of it can be found.

Not exactly. It will generate a single copy of the inline function per
object file in which it's used -- unless very tricksy linker magic is
used, which is possible, I believe, but not typical. Still, I think
one copy of eeprom_read_byte and eeprom_write_byte per object file is
a reasonable compromise considering the technical challenges.

Cheers,
Shaun