Re: [avr-libc-dev] [RFC] New eeprom.h

From: Rick Altherr
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] [RFC] New eeprom.h
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:43:03 -0800

On Feb 29, 2008, at 12:32 PM, Shaun Jackman wrote:

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Rick Altherr <address@hidden> wrote:
It was on the mailing list.  There are only one of each, but they are
inline functions defined in the header so they will be correct for
every device.  The address of that inline function is passed to the
library routines.  That will cause a single copy of the inline
function to be generated as a true function in the binary so the
address of it can be found.

Not exactly. It will generate a single copy of the inline function per
object file in which it's used -- unless very tricksy linker magic is
used, which is possible, I believe, but not typical. Still, I think
one copy of eeprom_read_byte and eeprom_write_byte per object file is
a reasonable compromise considering the technical challenges.

Cheers,
Shaun

Many linkers will coalesce copies of the same function from multiple object files. I'm not familiar with binutils enough to know if it does or not.

--
Rick Altherr
address@hidden

"He said he hadn't had a byte in three days. I had a short, so I split it with him."
 -- Slashdot signature