Re: [avr-libc-dev] Web page update now also done

From: Dmitry K.
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Web page update now also done
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 09:45:46 +1000

On Saturday 22 December 2007 17:50, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> I've been too tired last night, so I did it now.  The web pages are
> now updated, the public documentation thus points to the 1.6.1 docs.
> I also converted the "Major changes" part of NEWS into
> changes-1.6.html for a quick overview.

The 'www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/changes-1.6.html' says:

   Summary of changes in the 1.6 release line

   The following list shortly summarizes the changes in
   version 1.6.1 compared to version 1.4.7

and includes the section about incompatibilities between
1.6.1 and 1.5.1: behaviour in conversion overflow, specify
nonzero value with signbit() ...

It is unsuccessful, that in this brief list the section
1.6.1/1.5.1 has got.  It can make false impression about
good compatibility of 1.6 and 1.4 versions.  The biggest
incompatibility is in binary representation of numbers:
the same (in binary) numbers are treated in different
way. In comparison with it the above remark on the
specification of nonzero value (signbit) looks simply
ridiculously. (Besides, the signbit() function is absent
in 1.4.)

Dmitry.

P.S.  Certainly, the main trouble of old library is not
that it deviates the standard. On it it is possible to
go for the sake of increase in speed and/or reduction of
the size.  It is bad, that this deviation is not identical
to all functions of library.