Re: [avr-libc-dev] Web page update now also done

From: Dmitry K.
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Web page update now also done
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 09:03:12 +1000

On Monday 24 December 2007 17:31, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> As Dmitry K. wrote:
> > and includes the section about incompatibilities between
> > 1.6.1 and 1.5.1: behaviour in conversion overflow, specify
> > nonzero value with signbit() ...
>
> Sorry, it was not clear to me that this list does not cover the
> differences between 1.4 and 1.6.  I took it from the NEWS file where
> you wrote it down in revision 1.236 (under "Main changes from 1.4 to
> 1.5").  As 1.5 was only the development branch which simply got
> renamed into 1.6 by time of public release, I replaced the 1.5 by a
> 1.6.

Yes, I see, the NEWS 1.236 and the last-revision NEWS are different.

I have load the 1.236 NEWS:

   *** Changes since avr-libc-1.5.1:

   * Documentation changes:
   * New functions:
   * Optimized functions:
   * Bugs fixed:
   * New devices supported:
   * Incompatibilities:
     + Conversion from float to long (make similar to GCC/x86):  in
     case if overflow was or if input is NaN return 0x80000000 for

   *** Main changes from avr-libc 1.4 to 1.5:

     + The fplib/math library is completely rewritten. Now features
     of the IEEE 754 standard are supported all: negative zero,

   *** Changes since avr-libc-1.4.0:

   * Bugs fixed:

Here the border between the changes made before the publication
of version 1.5.1 and after is lead. It seemed to me expedient as
version 1.5.1 has been declared publicly. Otherwise to the user
who has passed to version 1.5.1, it should most to dig out these
changes.

Probably, rules of work with CVS (and/or with Avr-libc) forbid
any mention of version 1.5 in branches HEAD and 1.6. Nevertheless,
allocation of three minor changes as the basic differences
confuses the reader. If to speak about incompatibility of versions
1.4 and 1.6 it is necessary to list absolutely all arithmetic
operations and mathematical functions.

> If you want to change it, feel free to just change the HTML file (but
> please don't change past entries in NEWS).

I shall refrain from any corrections before clearing a situation.

Merry Christmas

Dmitry.