Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: [avr-gcc-list] dwarf2 information, is this a bug?

From: Eric Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: [avr-gcc-list] dwarf2 information, is this a bug?
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:38:20 -0600

Björn Haase wrote:

Hi Björn,

Do you think the problem first showed up in 2.16? Would it be better off
to stay with 2.15 until this issue is fixed in HEAD?

No. Last week I indeed had observed the same issue Torsten has reported. Today I have analyzed the issue and found out that the problems with 2.16 showed up for my applications only in conjunction with my new linker optimizations. It seems that Torsten's issue has been fixed meanwhile. I found out where the problem with my linker relaxation patch were and I have fixed the issue this afternoon. I will soon post a follow-up patch of the linker-relax optimization.

My suggestion would be to be even less conservative: I'd even suggest that within two weeks time you could ship *mainline* binutils that includes linker relaxation: I observe that the code size decrease might justify it and in case that there are unexpected new problems, you simply would not need to switch --relax on.

Thanks for the analysis.

BTW: You are now employed by Atmel, Eric?

You're observant. :-)

Yes, I am, though I haven't made that widely public (though I suppose it will get around soon enough). I'm in their Colorado Springs offices.

Eric Weddington