Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #12941] Table of Signal Names in "Interrupts and

From: Rolf Ebert
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #12941] Table of Signal Names in "Interrupts and Signals" is wrong/incomplete
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 23:26:54 +0200

On Tue, 3 May 2005 Joerg Wunsch <address@hidden> wrote:

As anonymous wrote:

in table                should be
-----------------------------------
SIG_INTERRUPT0          SIG_INT0
SIG_INPUT_CAPTURE1      SIG_TIMER1_CAPT
SIG_OVERFLOW1           SIG_TIMER1_OVF

Based on what source?

I don't think we ever followed the names given in the datasheet here,
historically, albeit I confess it might be a good idea to do so.

I'd appreciate if we could discuss that on the avr-libc developers
list.

Here we go.

We used to generate the part descriptions for AVR-Ada by a Perl script that read the corresponding avr-libc io files and generated Ada code. I recently changed to Ted Roth's Python script and generate the Ada specs directly from Atmel's XML "Partdescriptionfiles". As a result many interrupts (and some pins) changed their names and I had to change my application code accordingly. I considered this a good thing as the code has (almost*) the same interrupt identifiers now as the data sheets. But then AVR-Ada has practically no code base out there and I don't have to care much about compatibility.

I would welcome if avr-libc accepted the interrupt names as given in data sheets. One less source of confusion. For some time the old names should still be supported as alias names.

* the interrupt short names in the XML files sometimes contain funny characters that cannot be part of an identifier. I replace all of comma, blank, or slash to underscores in the Python script. I don't know why Atmel created interrupt names containing these characters in the first place...

    Rolf