Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #12941] Table of Signal Names in "Interrupts and

From: Dmitry K.
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #12941] Table of Signal Names in "Interrupts and Signals" is wrong/incomplete
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 08:33:45 +1100

On Wednesday 04 May 2005 08:26, Rolf Ebert wrote:
> >> in table                should be
> >> -----------------------------------
> >> SIG_INTERRUPT0          SIG_INT0
> >> SIG_INPUT_CAPTURE1      SIG_TIMER1_CAPT
> >> SIG_OVERFLOW1           SIG_TIMER1_OVF

> We used to generate the part descriptions for AVR-Ada by a Perl script
> that read the corresponding avr-libc io files and generated Ada code.  I
> recently changed to Ted Roth's Python script and generate the Ada specs
> directly from Atmel's XML "Partdescriptionfiles".  As a result many
> interrupts (and some pins) changed their names and I had to change my
> application code accordingly.  I considered this a good thing as the code
> has (almost*) the same interrupt identifiers now as the data sheets.  But
> then AVR-Ada has practically no code base out there and I don't have to
> care much about compatibility.
>

> I would welcome if avr-libc accepted the interrupt names as given in data
> sheets.  One less source of confusion.  For some time the old names should
> still be supported as alias names.
>

> * the interrupt short names in the XML files sometimes contain funny
> characters that cannot be part of an identifier.  I replace all of comma,
> blank, or slash to underscores in the Python script.  I don't know why
> Atmel created interrupt names containing these characters in the first
> place...
>
>      Rolf

First, the speech is about INTERRUPT SERVICE ROUTINES names. Not about of
electrical signals or human readable designations.
Let us look ATtiny2313 datasheet (next page after Table 21).
ISR names differ from specified above:
    rjmp   INT0
    rjmp   TIM1_CAPT
    rjmp   TIM1_OVF

Certainly, it would be good to use names from Atmel's datasheets from the
first. But, unfortunately, Atmel is very inaccurate in ISR's names.
Identical subroutines have different names for different chips (for example,
EE_RDY in AT90S4433 and EE_READY in ATtiny2313). Sometimes the name clashes
with other identificators (INT0 above).

Dmitry.