[avr-libc-dev] Re: gcc's avr implementation does not appear to be interr

From: E. Weddington
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Re: gcc's avr implementation does not appear to be interrupt safe!
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:07:50 -0700

Paul Schlie wrote:

Hey guys, just to give you a heads up, as there are routines implemented
in both avr.c and avr.md that temporarily utilize r1 without disabling
interrupts around these sections;
Please provide examples (functions, line numbers, etc.) of what you mean.

any code which may be invoked subsequent
to an interrupt not resuming execution at the point of interruption (which
includes all interrupt and/or task code invoked by simple interrupt driven
multi-tasking kernels) may not safely assume r1=0.

The only reasonable solution to this problem that I see is to remove the
presumption that r1 == 0, and let the complier allocate what ever values it
deems necessary to generate efficient code; as otherwise the requirement to
block interrupts around these otherwise critical sections doesn't seem like
a good idea, as it's neither efficient code-wise, or helpful minimizing
interrupt latencies. (the compiler will tend to allocate and maintain any
frequently required value, the avr port should likely just let the compiler
do it's job).

This affects any asm code in libc which presumes r1 == 0, and would need
to be corrected to simply define a local 0 value register if required.

(now that I think of it, to my vague recollection, I recall that stack
pointer manipulation may also not be interrupt save, but haven't checked
the code yet)

Thoughts?

-paul-

And next time please post to a mailing list, preferrably avr-libc-dev (which I've CC'd) where the GCC maintainers (or at least one of them) is listening in.