Re: [avr-libc-dev] AVR Elf Processing

From: Svein E. Seldal
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] AVR Elf Processing
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:39:16 +0200

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
A discussion about this had been started by Svein (forgot his last
name) on the avr-gcc list recently.  The idea was to use a standard
proposal for extending C towards understanding memory regions as the
base for the implementation.  My guess (rather: fear) is that while
this is worthwhile, it'll become a major project to integrate into
GCC.

Yes. I am working on the extension, but as you fear, this won't be integrated into gcc in a short timespan.

The support for the multiple memory spaces requires changes into the C-file parser, ie. this will affect the generic/global parts of GCC. The first challenge related to this is the technical part; Since this is a global change, we/I need to ensure that the change does not affect all the other targets in any harmful manner (unless we want the whole GCC community on our necks).

The other non-tech challenge is the fact that this change will (probably) require cooperation of the major GCC maintainers as I fear this will hit GCC rather high up it's structure. I have no idea of how this will be received by the GCC team - it all depends on how the actual patch will be written.

IMHO I dont think think the integration will be a problem, but by experience it can take some time (for code review, softening of the gcc-is-not-suitable-for-avr-since-it-has-less-than-1-meg-memory developers, and so on), even if I had the code ready today. So I dont think end users can expect this feature to come soon, i.e. it _wont_ be included in the next gcc 3.5/5.0.

I all cases, I'll try to keep you all posted as progress are made.

Svein