Re: [avr-libc-dev] AVR Elf Processing

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] AVR Elf Processing
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 12:35:35 +0200

As Torleif Sandnes wrote:

> > #3: I'd like to know which are these, they definately deserve to
> > be fixed.  Torleif, could I convince you to file a bug report for
> > them (on savannah.nongnu.org's Web interface)?

> I grabbed some of these issues from the avr-libc reference manual
> ver. 0.99.90.20030908. section 7.3.7. "Can I use c++ on the AVR."

Oh.  So you're reminding me that we probably need to update that FAQ
item some day... :-)

I just did a recursive grep on the include directory, and it seems
there are indeed some header files without protection.  These are less
important files (like <avr/crc16.h>), but of course, they deserve to
be fixed.

There's also

http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=8633

which is being worked on.

> > #4: IIRC, exceptions are turned off by default when configuring
> > GCC for the AVR; at least that used to be the case at some point
> > in the past.

> Ok, I was not aware of this. I will update this part of the
> documentation as well.

Yep, GCC's default had been changed after the above part of the FAQ
was written (rather: as a result of that).

> IMHO, C++ contains some constructs that are unfortunate when
> developing applications for microcontrollers.

Sure, it's very easy to shoot into your foot using C, but it usually
hurts.  With C++, you can shoot into your foot a lot more
elegantly. :-)

> Which C++ constructs are planned for avr-g++?

Well, the basic constructs are supported already anyway, as long as
they are supported by the generic G++ frontend, and do not require
libstdc++ support.  See my previous mail, libstdc++ is most likely not
going to happen at all.  new and delete might be cheap enough to be
had (using libsuppc++ or something like that), maybe even exceptions
though I don't think they make much sense in terms of waste of code.

I don't know if anyone wants to have templates on the AVR (AFAIK, they
aren't part of the small devices C++ standards draft), but I believe
they already might work right now (though there's no STL available,
obviously).