Re: [avr-libc-dev] savannah audit

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] savannah audit
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 13:43:26 +0100

As Theodore A. Roth wrote:

> There would probably need to be some ground rules for posting the patches.
> I'd personally like to see the following:
>
>   * Subject should obviously state the basics of what the patch does.
>   * The ChangeLog entry should be in the body of the message.
>   * The diff should be either a plain text or gzipped file posted as an
>     attachment to the message. If this is done, then archiver on savannah
>     will make the attachment downloadable as a link. This is really nice
>     since it allows for downloading of the patch without loosing the
>     original formating. Posting diffs in the body of the message is prone to
>     the formatting whims of the individual's email client.
>   * Attach a pgp signature or an md5sum for the patch. This should enable us
>     to be certain that the patch has not been modified since being posted.
>     Having a pgp signature is probably preferrable.

I'd seriously vote for adapting the FreeBSD automatism instead.  It
just generates an email out of each cvs commit log message, and sends
it to the list.  Since the email also contains the diff line numbers
(+15 -10 and such), it offers a quick estimation about whether the
volume of the actual change matches the description. ;-)

Since savannah is going to require GnuPG for commits, I don't see any
need to roll our own for that.

The FreeBSD automatism additionally collects all these commitlogs in a
file.  This would obviate the need to maintain a separate ChangeLog (which
I constantly seem to forget anyway ;-), and which I believe is way too
terse for a meaningful description).

What bothers me about this mailing list is to have an additional item
which needs manual attention.

As for the requirements, I think the current FreeBSD scripts only need
Perl and an MTA (maybe a few Perl packages).  They all live under
$CVSROOT/CVSROOT, so they are supposed to be directly maintainable via
`cvs commit' (i. e. no manual interaction by the savannah admins is
needed).