Re: [aspell-devel] TeX accents.

From: Antonio Ospite
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] TeX accents.
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 23:35:39 +0200

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 12:40:38 +0200
Christoph Hintermüller <address@hidden> wrote:

> > In ispell it is quite easy to specify at dictionary level an
> > equivalence between an accented letter written like above and
> > latin1 letter. Can we do that in aspell in any way?
> >
> The dictionaries are definitly not the proper place to handle these.
> They have to be handled by the TeX/LaTeX filter. Respective by its
> encoding and decoding filter. I'd have to check if it allready is
> capable of handling them or not (I can't remember anymore).

The ispell way is quite generic, one can also define a mapping for html
escape sequences (&egrave; &eacute; etc.)
But probably that can be handled in a filter too.

> OT: By the way how about using the LaTeX2e package inputenc
> \usepackage[<encoding>[,encoding[,...]]]{inputenc} in your preamble,
> than you can directly type è é ê ...

There can be two cases where the requested functionality can be still
useful:
 - when one uses an US keyboard... (I have an HHK[1])
 - when one wants to spellcheck an already written text.

We can solve the problem substituting the sequences with the right
letter, either in the editor or using a wrapper script around aspell,
but neither of these is an elegant solution.

Thanks for the interest.

Regards,
   Antonio

[1] http://www.fentek-ind.com/hhlite2lrg.jpg