[aspell-devel] Aspell win32 port

From: James Van Lommel
Subject: [aspell-devel] Aspell win32 port
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:59:54 -0700

Hi all -

I'm relatively new to the world of Aspell, but I needed to get it
working on the Win32 platform. After much tinkering, I finally got it
working (non-cygwin, MinGW) and documented the steps that it took
here: http://www.nosq.com/2005/07/aspell-0603-for-win32/

I used the regular install source and only had to make changes to one
source file and the generated Makefile in order to get it to compile.

Another user has worked on getting an NSIS installer package; he wrote
the install script and I'll post it once I test it out.

Questions I had:

1. Am I duplicating work that someone else is already doing? This was
mostly "scratch an itch" type stuff since I didn't feel like using a
nearly 3-year-old version of Aspell.

2. According to our tests the --enable-win32-relocatable option
doesn't seem to work. Are we correct in assuming this ability has been
removed?

3. Can the libtool work with long file names? Right now, we have to
use --prefix="/c/Progra~1/Aspell" to get it to install into "Program
Files".

Thanks for whatever help you can give...

- James Van Lommel