Re: [aspell-devel] remove from word lists

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] remove from word lists
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:48:04 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Anton Leuski wrote:

> I guess it's not possible to remove words from the personal and session
> word lists, right? When I try the remove method   on a personal word
> list from a Speller instance it comes back with
>
> The method "remove" is unimplemented in "WritableDict"
>
> Or am I missing something? Can you give me any advice on how implement
> the remove method? Or (even better :-)) when is it going to implemented
> in the main code base?

The problem is that when Aspell "saves" a personal word list it doesn't
really "save" it. Instead it merges the in-memory word list with the one
saved to disk.  That is before saving it reread the on-disk word list and
than add any new words found to the in-memory word list.  I do this
avoid the problem of multiple Aspell processes, running at the same
time, clobbering each others changes.  This means that deleting a word
from on in-memory word list will have no effect if word is also in the
on-disk word list.  A truly correct solution to this problem will be
rather complicated.  I am willing to accept a simpler, yet not 100%
correct, solution but I have not got around to implementing it.

--
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org