Re: [aspell-devel] Add and Remove Word Lists

From: Jose Da Silva
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Add and Remove Word Lists
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:51:39 -0800

On Thursday 18 November 2004 06:42 am, Gary wrote:
> The different dictionaries are already supported. See module
> data.cpp and for example function add_data_set().

Thanks for the pointer,
I haven't ventured too much into the different routines.
Consider me naive and still trying to figure out the big picture. :-/

> > > Typically in this situation, I make two list boxes with availed
> > > on items on one side and in use items on the other and two
> > > buttons in the middle to move the selected items from side to
> > > side.
>
> I'm not following you. Can you clarify?

...the side-to-side action mentioned above....
I was thinking that maybe you may want to build a "special" dictionary to
point at other dictionaries, such as:
"look in a.cwl" <-look in this sub-dictionary
"look in b.cwl" <-look in this sub-dictionary
"look in c.cwl" <-look in this sub-dictionary
"a"                     <-now continue with rest of wordlist....
"aa"
"aaa"
...I suppose it's equal to calling it an html <href type other-page tag>.
if that is the case, you would need a special program-flow to consider those
special keywords to be "look in that dictionary over_there" rather than
ordinary words.
However, if that wasn't the intent, then snip this too.

<snip>

> Hi Jose,
> Thanks for the suggestion. The impression I get is that you think
> I'm adding the concept of mult dictionaries. I'm not. Multi
> dictionaries are already there. All I'm proposing is that
> external program that maintain those multi dictionaries put the
> source files into the multi file as comments.

I suppose I did get the wrong impression.
It was the side-to-side action which suggested something you want to add,
then remove by choice.

Basically, you are proposing some sort of a "header" holding misc. yet
 useful information of the "current" dictionary.
My mistake on thinking on the wrong direction, sorry about that.

If you are looking for suggestions on this type of "header", here's some
additional food for thought:

---1---------------------
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/aspell-devel/2004-11/msg00001.html

...looking at the above, perhaps misc "comments allowed" information, the
author above had concerns, so embedding something saying thanks, or GNU
copyright or other.

---2---------------------
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=613639&group_id=245
&atid=350245

...perhaps embedding which language may be useful?
Suppose that a user is checking "German" and "English"
Right now, I think you have to flip the local language settings for aspell
 to use the different languages, but perhaps if the language setting is
 encoded, a future version of aspell may be able to make use of
 automatically checking that way... so it tests the document in
 local=english using the english dictionary and then flips-into local=german
 using the german dictionary.

This <personal_ws-1.1 de 123> suggest that something already exists for
"personal" dictionaries...see here:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=655624&group_id=245
&atid=350245

...however, looking at the 0.60 english.cwl word lists, I don't see anything
except words.   ...I haven't looked at the "*.multi" yet.

---3---------------------
going back to your original suggestion, if what you are trying to do is
 merge several dictionaries into one dictionary (using the GUI you suggest),
 you may want to embed a date stamp for which file you collected into the
 dictionary otherwise you may run into problems later.... for example,
 suppose you finished adding one dictionary, and a new word was added the
 next day.  You may want to merge the "newer' dictionary into this
multi-dictionary you are building so that you add the new word.
For yourself, dates may not be important since all the important info is
right there, but it may be important if you build a dictionary there, then
send the merged results to somewhere halfway across the continent.

If you say "what if?" when you look at it, I sort of foresee a possible
problem... suppose you built a multi-dictionary and tomorrow someone
discovers there are a couple of mispelled words in one of the
subdictionaries. If it is/was a seperate dictionary, you simply remove the
offending word and insert the new one for that respective dictionary....
however if you merged a bunch of dictionaries to create a large dictionary,
you got a bit of a problem.
You may have to subtract the offending list first (if you still have it),
then merge the new one back in... unless you hit another "whatif" if suppose
the word doesn't exist one way but does another.... suppose you merged an
electronics dictionary with your english dictionary... and the word "jumps"
was found-removed in the electronics dictionary.
In summary, to keep merging simple, you probably got to keep all the
 seperate dictionaries to re-build your master/main dictionary.

hopefully that helps  :-)