RE: [aspell-devel] Ported to Solaris / Sun WorkShop 6 compiler

From: Flemming Frandsen
Subject: RE: [aspell-devel] Ported to Solaris / Sun WorkShop 6 compiler
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 10:59:56 +0100

Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> Try it and see.  if it works put an ifdef around the operator=.
> Without the operator= there might be an unnecessary temporary but
> there will be no functional difference.

I ended up ifdef'ing the copyconstructor in stead, in any case the explicit
calls to the String constructor are gone and the patch is smaller:)

> There should be an implicit conversion from StackPtr<Choices> to
> Choices *.  It is probably the const which is causing the problem.
> Don't change the phototype of the function.  Instead access the
> pointer in StackPtr with the get method.

This seems wrong, all the places that use display_menu use it with a
StackPtr<Choices> parameter converting to Choices * and then back to
StackPtr<Choices> inside the function is silly IMHO.

Any reason for doing it that way?

>>  #ifdef __SUNPRO_CC
> That will work.

Ok, I've generally used that ifdef around stuff that the suncompiler doesn't
like.

> The interface everyone else is suppose to use is the C one.
> But all external C++ symbols should also be available in the library.

They might not be though, it all depends on what the C compiler does to the C++
symbols.

> The "aspell" application used the internal one all over the place.
> Something is not linking correctly if it can't find those symbols.

Correct, I've ifdefed the code for the sun compiler, I hope that's ok, because
I can't figure out how to get it to link so it works.

> If you can send me a complete patch I find acceptable which will allow
> Aspell to compile with Sun CC I will accept it.

I hope this is ok, the only issue you had with it that I didn't change is the
display_menu one.

> If you can't figure
> out how to get the build system to work without resorting to hacking
> the Makefile or other generated files than send me some instructions
> and I will include it in the manual.

I do a hack in the build script that makes the makefile use CC (c++ compiler)
in stead of cc (the C compiler) for linking the example programs as it seems I
can't get the linker to link the stl lib to libaspell.so as long as people use
CC to link the programs everything is fine, though.

--
 Flemming Frandsen / Systems Designer