[aspell-devel] Ported to Solaris / Sun WorkShop 6 compiler

From: Flemming Frandsen
Subject: [aspell-devel] Ported to Solaris / Sun WorkShop 6 compiler
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:29:26 +0100

Hi, I've been working on getting aspell to be able to use it in our product
that runs on Solaris, using SUNs compiler:

[novia] ~/projects/spell> CC -V
CC: Sun WorkShop 6 update 2 C++ 5.3 Patch 111685-10 2002/09/16
[novia] ~/projects/spell> uname -a
SunOS novia 5.8 Generic_108528-14 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-280R

I found quite a number of cases where the code simply wouldn't compile as the
sun compiler is more strict (or less smart) than g++, the main issues were:

* Ambiguity between a constructor Foo(Bar old) and an Foo::operator= (Bar old)
* Ambiguity between == operators on std::string and acommon::ParamString
* Some functions that should return a value, but don't because they call abort()
* The symbols defined in string_buffer.cpp didn't seem to be linked into
acommon.a, so rather than fight with an unreleased version of libtool I moved
the stuff inline in string_buffer.hpp a better fix would be easy if the build
system wasn't quite so esoteric:)

The only problem I couldn't quite fix is that g++ seems to be quite happy
linking the c++ libs to the libaspell.so file, but I can't seem to persuade CC
to do the same, so I end up having to link all the applications with CC to
supply the missing c++ libs.

If anyone has an idea to fix that little problem, please let me know.

The enclosed solaris_build script is what I currently use to build aspell with
(after applying the patch) and it all seems to work ok.

Any pointers?

Any chance of getting the patch applied?

--
 Flemming Frandsen / Systems Designer