tinycc-devel

Re: [Tinycc-devel] Relative paths of include files are not normalised, w

From: gz8cx4
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Relative paths of include files are not normalised, which can break #pragma once
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 09:00:34 +0200

On Fri, Jul 07, 2023 at 10:12:48PM +0100, Jonathan Newman wrote:
> Speed is a very useful feature in itself. tcc is fast enough that I can
> often forego a proper make system and just recompile everything every time,
> which eliminates a source of complexity and potential issues.

+1

Build systems all too often are more complex (not seldom *much* more
complex) than the programs they are used for. It is a major PITA for
someone who reproducibly builds from others' sources, the complexity stems
from the upstream *developers*' needs, creating an unnecessary burden
for rebuilding - actually adding the build system as a heavy dependency.

Everything that reduces build complexity is very welcome and practically
extremely useful, when one does not want to cut corners (aiming for
security and robust reproducibility).

Of cource, it is not only at builds where complexity is harmul.
Please keep the Tiny cc as tiny as possible.

Also, when doing a lot of builds and preferring correctness over
optimization, the speed of tcc is a godsend. Many thanks!

/tccm