tinycc-devel

Re: [Tinycc-devel] patch for tcc (and question)

From: grischka
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] patch for tcc (and question)
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 15:39:09 +0200

On 27.05.2023 02:28, Fred van Kempen via Tinycc-devel wrote:
Herman:

 >> Based on the 0.9.27 release code, I added a patch to tcc.c to let it "find"
itself and its
 >> support directories (include, lib etc) even it is not located in the root
of that setup. I
 >> normally have stuff organized under "bin/" to keep it clean, and because my
systems
 >> require several platforms, it is usually like

 >  the mob branch?
 > I am missing the patch?
Submitted with ID da3a763.

I'd say that this patch looks more like someone's personal easter egg,
or at least you missed to explain why you would recommend other people
to use an install structure as you do as well, what the benefit is over
the one that they already have, and how they are supposed to create it,
preferably automatically I'd assume...

Other than that it is already possible to install the tcc executable(s)
in a custom separate location, for example like

        ./configure --tccdir=... --bindir=...

which is supposed to set CONFIG_TCCDIR explicitly and thus override the
run-time automatism under libtcc.c:98: #ifndef CONFIG_TCCDIR.

By the way, from
    https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Distributed-Git-Contributing-to-a-Project

    "As a general rule, your messages should start with a single line
     that’s no more than about 50 characters and that describes the
     changeset concisely, followed by a blank line, followed by a more
     detailed explanation."

     (with also no more than about 50-70 characters each line)

-- gr

--Fred