tinycc-devel

[Tinycc-devel] patch for tcc (and question)

From: Fred van Kempen
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] patch for tcc (and question)
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 21:28:15 +0000 (UTC)

Hello list:

I hope the list is still active... development seems to have stopped, or at least stalled?

Based on the 0.9.27 release code, I added a patch to tcc.c to let it "find" itself and its
support directories (include, lib etc) even it is not located in the root of that setup. I
normally have stuff organized under "bin/" to keep it clean, and because my systems
require several platforms, it is usually like

      .../
         /bin/
               /x86
                      /tcc.exe
               /x64
        /include
        /lib/
            /x86
                   /libtcc-32.a

and so on.

So, the patch allows tcc.exe to be in "below" the root folder, and still find things, by
looking for the presence of an include/ directory.

Is this something I could (or even should ;-) push to the mob branch?

Now, the question.

The code itself seems to have support for the ARM and ARM64 processors. I
also see support for the WinCE platform.  All of these, I believe, are in alpha or
beta stage.

Is there a reason why we are not allowing the ARM platform on Windows (i.e.
Windows 8.0 and up), and/or ARM64 on Windows 10 and up?

I did rework (a copy of) the build-tcc script to build the compiler on ARM, and
that works just fine.  It *seems* to generate a correct object file if I compile a
simple hello.c - the x86 tcc doesn't like it ;-)  What is left (or, so it seems) is
being able to (properly) handle the various PE formats for it (.exe, .dll) so
the "tcc -impdef" can work on libtcc.dll, and then generate proper exe files?

Just a thought.. :)

Cheers,

Fred