sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Verification of keys on upload and removal options

From: Malte
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Verification of keys on upload and removal options
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 11:23:39 +0200

On Friday, March 25, 2016 1:33:16 PM CEST Andrew Gallagher wrote:

> Before we even *think* about a protocol, there are policy hurdles to be
> overcome, e.g.:
>
> 1. What criteria should be met before a key is removed?

Owner of private key or owner of UID/email address requests it.

> 2. Who decides that the criteria have been met?

The keyserver operator the request is sent to.

> 3. How are malicious removals prevented?

If owner of private key and owner of UID/email address disagree, the key stays
off the servers. If they agree there should be no malicious removal.

> 4. How is whack-a-mole prevented?

It is not prevented, but right now you wouldn't even have to play it.

> These are all *hard* problems, and none of them have much, or anything,
> to do with protocol design.

I don't see how they are. I see _all_ the hardness in the protocol design and
implementation.

Sincerely,

Malte

--
1BEA 8159 A070 2E53 0152  A59F 0CC5 76E9 703E 1DDC