sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] new keyserver online

From: Christoph Anton Mitterer
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] new keyserver online
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 23:37:20 +0200

On Sun, 2010-08-22 at 10:49 -0400, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> Yes.  I was using "keyserver" as synonymous for "keyserver operator."
> Imprecise language, I grant, but that's English for you.
Neverteheless?
Why should a keyserver or keyserver operator be a CA or act in such a
role?

A CA is an entity making a cryptographic assertion on certificates (or
keys + UID in the case of OpenPGP). This is also the definition as used
with RFC 2828 (more or less).

The keyserver is just a distribution point, nothing more, and therefore
not a CA.

Other wise, my ISP would be a CA to,.. he's the one that delivers me the
certificates...

Cheers,
Chris.