[Savannah-dev] Re: [Bug #1334] Bug tracker email status section too wide

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: [Savannah-dev] Re: [Bug #1334] Bug tracker email status section too wide
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 19:19:31 -0500

%% Mathieu Roy <address@hidden> writes:

  mr> Hum, in fact you are perfectly right. I checked all bugs I dealed with
  mr> today and apparently no one wrote lines longer than 79 chars, but the
  mr> problem is still there.

Note there are two different issues:

The one I actually reported is not that the text of the bug is not
wrapped (which it isn't) but rather than the header that's created in
the email by the bug code is justified out to 80 spaces long: look at
these lines:

Submitted by: psmith                    Project: Savannah
Submitted on: 2002-Oct-04 20:20
Category:  Bug Tracker                  Severity:  1 - Enhancement

Note that the user didn't enter these, the bug tracker filled them in,
and it justified both columns to be 40 chars long, which means the line
total is 80 chars long.  That wraps in many mailers.

Either the second column should not be justified at all (just print the
contents with no extra whitespace after it--I think this is the best
solution), or it should be changed to be at most 39 chars long.

  mr> Worst, you'are saying that it's wrap at 80 chars, but with my mail
  mr> client (gnus), text are not wrapped at all. :(

This is a different issue, that the text users typed into the box is not
wrapped.  I don't have a good answer for this, actually, because
sometimes you don't _want_ the text wrapped (say you included an example
command with long lines).

At any rate, I think that this is separate bug or enhancement request
than the one I'm reporting here.

Thanks!