[Savannah-dev] Re: GPL Source Forge

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Savannah-dev] Re: GPL Source Forge
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 23:36:20 +0100

Cesar Brod writes:
 > Expanding a little bit on Vilson's original e-Mail ...
 >
 > We are using SourceForge software for about a year now. It started when
 > we needed a tool that would allow us cooperative development of our free
 > software projects, and soon after that we opened it for the community.
 > CodigoAberto (http://codigoaberto.org.br) now hosts more than 100
 > projects of almost 900 developers. CodigoAberto already has some tools
 > that are not part of SourceForge, although it still has pretty much the
 > same "skin".
 >
 > With the development of MIOLO (http://miolo.codigoaberto.org.br), an
 > Object Oriented database connection and presentation middleware for PHP
 > application development, we are planning to migrate CodigoAberto to a
 > completely new structure, based on the MIOLO-DP (MIOLO Distributed
 > Portal). So, we pretty much know what we need. The only thing we lack is
 > developers time, since pretty much all of us are knee-deep on other
 > projects. This is one of the reasons Vilson (MIOLO's main author) is
 > traveling to Gelsenkirchen, German, where he will stay for three months
 > teaching, among other things, cooperative free software development with
 > MIOLO. He will try to get more people involved with our projects and
 > also get some funding that would allow us to hire more people to work
 > with us with free software development.
 >
 > A SourceForge like site to host Free Software projects is really
 > non-rocket-science, as most of the tools needed for cooperative
 > development already exist - it is a lot of work, though. It is just a
 > question of getting all tools (CVS, Mailing Lists, Forums, Project
 > Management, etc...) together and make it as easy as possible for newbies
 > to get excited about it and start using it. It makes a lot of sense
 > (well, to me at least...) to have a distributed portal with hosts in
 > several countries, with tools that will ease cooperative software
 > development. If the FSF will be the foundation behind this new "GPL-Only
 > Source Forge" we can be sure no developer will get caught in the
 > SourceForge trap.

        Thanks very much for this detailed description. I hope you
found all you need to know about Savannah at
http://savannah.gnu.org/docs/savannah-plan.html.

        I'd be interested to hear why MIOLO would be better than
phpGroupWare for the implementation of a cooperative development
platform. Could you please highlight the two or three most important
points ?

        Thanks in advance,

75019    Paris         T: 33 1 42 45 09 16          address@hidden