Re: [Savannah-dev] Re: [DotGNU]SourceForge drifting

From: Christian BAYLE
Subject: Re: [Savannah-dev] Re: [DotGNU]SourceForge drifting
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 00:39:52 +0100

Hi all

I use this mail as a starting point, but could choose an other one

I red with attention Loic document, but maybe should read one again :-)

I always wonder if it is planned to have some kind of centralized
data for "users" and "group"

I like the idea of a distributed sourceforge.

I also like the original sourceforge for it's trove map.

One of the goal, I understand is to be able to migrate a project from
place to
place, with readable and writeable copy

This can't difficultly be done without some kind of centralised DB for
users and groups,
because conflict in group names, user names will rapidly occurs,
you will have to deal with changing uid/gid username/groupname for all
files.

I was just wondering, if using LDAP services to store users and groups
wouldn't be a good solution
LDAP has some embedded replication services, that can make it not so
centralized
LDAP can be used for the unix authentication.

Do you also plan to keep the attribution of one subdomain per project ?
In this case unity of group name could be think in unicity of domain
name.
The distributed nature of DNS can also be interesting to use

What is the approach planed by savannah?

Is a reflexion in this direction pertinent?

As a co-developper of the sourceforge debian package,
I find that using a LDAP db for authentication is nice,
interaction with exim for mailing lists alias management is well done
LDAP seems also have been one of the solution adopted by VA for it's
distribution

Christian