Spurious "deprecated" warning?

From: qx6uwumzvv
Subject: Spurious "deprecated" warning?
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 21:05:44 +0000

Yesterday I did my quarterly update of the software on 3 virtual machines
running debian/testing and rdiff-backup was updated from 2.2.2-1 to 2.2.6-1.

Today when I looked at the log output from my nightly backup scripts emailed to
me from these machines, I see that every invocation of rdiff-backup is now
producing the message:

WARNING: Server will be called with deprecated command line interface to
guarantee compatibility. It might lead to a deprecation warning from newer
rdiff-backup versions. Use '--api-version 201' (or higher) to avoid it.

Since I do 3 invocations of rdiff-backup (remove increments, backup, verify)
for each of several backup repositories, these messages are significantly
cluttering up the logs, making it significantly more difficult for me to
quickly scan the logs for backup or storage capacity problems.

Since my backups are all local-to-local, I'm not talking to any server, and
AFAIK I'm using the latest command-line syntax (e.g. rdiff-backup --force
remove increments --older-than 9M --size <path-to-repo>), which means these
messages seem completely spurious.

Can someone help me understand why I'm seeing these messages and whether there
is some other way to eliminate them besides specifying '--api-version 201'
which seems spurious given that I'm not talking to a server?

Shouldn't this message only be produced if the command line specifies a remote
location?

thanks,
Peter