qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu the right way -[Subthread Cores]

From: liebrecht
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu the right way -[Subthread Cores]
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 22:31:14 -0500

Thanks a million Andrew
-enable-kvm switch really solved the erratic on of switching off the mouse and sound. All I get now are small pips and pops I will have to chase sown. Sounds like buffer overruns of some sort due to too small buffers on the linux receiving end. Dont know how to adjust that, but I am sure it is something like that. Sounds like a gramophone scratch every now and then which I know to be usually too small buffers.

But, you improved the situation enormously thanks.

Regarding software cpus.
I realized something like that must be going on.
I dont understand the justification to add cpus for the guest that doesnt exist. That can only end in trouble.

What I want is for the guest to use a real subcollection of amount of cores accessed by the guest. I have 24 available, but some of my software to be used with qemu needs at least 6 cores so I need to get past this strange 2cpu limit that is now showing up in win7 pro. Since I do not have networking sorted out yet I cannot update win7 pro, and it might be the updates which are needed for allowing more than two cpus. I uses cpus and cores interactively as for the windows guest both are the same number and windows only name them cpus.

I just added a subthread to the subject line to distinguish between the three problems I have, Networking Sound and Cpu Count in the host. "-cpu host" seems to be what I need, so I will back up the VM and try it.

Thanks you have been of really great help.