qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu the right way -[Subthread Cores]

From: liebrecht
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu the right way -[Subthread Cores]
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2018 17:14:41 -0500

For the record I have no crashes with
-cpu host It works perfectly. Although I can only see 2 cpus in windows with 4 showing up in devicemanager.

The first link you sent was actually the first thing I tried and I was already aware of that one.
It made no difference whatsoever.
My bios is latest on the rackserver , but it does not have the maximum core option in the bios.

Let me update the os to latest patches. I can vaguely remeber a similar problem running wi7 pro natively. I think out of the box you get win7 home cpu limits and only after updates do you have pro lqarger cpu count activated. I may remeber wrong, but I will do that first and report back.

Since I do not have networking sorted out yet I cannot update win7 pro, and it
might be the updates which are needed for allowing more than two cpus.

hm, brief search on my side resulted in this tip:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/windows-7-professional-x64-only-showing-2-of-8/0155f525-df73-4642-a828-21b80d1564b0

----------
Some recommendations (in Windows, make sure you are running as Administrator):

- Run MSConfig -> Change to Boot tab -> Advanced Options -> "Number of
Processors", make sure there is no check mark.
- Delete processor entries listed in Device Manager, then reboot.

(I don't think BIOS options from this answer really apply directly to qemu case)

also, if win (or some applications inside it) keep crashing with -cpu host, you
can try to reload host (Linux) kvm module with additional option:

"options kvm ignore_msrs=1" line (without quotes) should be added to
 /etc/modprobe.d/kvm.conf

from
https://www.passmark.com/forum/performancetest/4748-startup-error-number-4-on-qemu-bsod