Re: SMuFL Bravura

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: SMuFL Bravura
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2019 09:34:40 +0200

Am 02.04.19 um 09:05 schrieb Malte Meyn:

Am 01.04.19 um 21:12 schrieb Urs Liska:
I fully agree with all of that, but I think what Johan wanted to say is that we should *first* work towards DMuFL compliance before spending manpower on Emmentaler extensions. Which I think is true and not. If there is someone willing to spend efforts adding stuff to Emmentaler that's a great thing and shouldn't be discouraged because we have even more pressing things to do.

That sounds reasonable. And maybe I should try to make some contributions for SMuFL (renaming and rearranging glyphs should be not too hard).

I don't really know how that works internally. But since LilyPond calls glyphs by name while SMuFL looks at code points (is that correct?) I can imagine it should be quite straightforward to get to a point (as a first step) where LilyPond doesn't notice the change while SMuFL-compliant applications can find the glyphs where *they* expect them.

Maybe it is a good idea to go for that first, completely ignoring the font metrics because (as far as I understand how it works) that will be trickier, more involved and probably somewhat tedious.

But that probably should wait until the release of 2.20.0 and 2.21.0, shouldn’t it?

I don't think so. Of course such a fundamental change doesn't belong in 2.20, but adding stuff to the development branch doesn't seem problematic to me. If it should turn out that starting with these changes imposes any risk of breaking stuff we could still work on a branch for a longer time (and maybe merge that to 2.21 after a 2.20 release).

Urs