Re: Turkish makam using regular.ly

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: Turkish makam using regular.ly
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 14:56:35 +0200

> On 21 Oct 2018, at 14:42, Torsten Hämmerle <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hans Åberg wrote
>> If one typesets the file regularE53smufl.ly, one gets output below. Some
>> single arrow accidentals are also missing in LilyPond, I think.
>
> Yes, also single arrow accidentals are missing.
> Most notably, we'll have to distinguish between the (bigger) standard arrows
> and the smaller multi-arrows.
> There are different versions of single arrow accidentals (with standard
> arrow and smaller arrow) and even the attachment point is different.
> Example: sharp with standard arrow up has the arrow attached on the right,
> the smaller arrows are attached on the left. Double-flats are similar.

I looked a little on that, but I do not have any preference.

> It's sheer co-incidence that I read about your makam activities an so I
> thought I'd drop a note.

It is my idea to use the Helmholtz-Ellis notation for Turkish, Arab and Persian
music: The single arrows are for Turkish music, and the double arrows are a
mean value for the microtonal notes in Arab and Persian music, though strictly,
there is no tradition for their exact values.

There are two caveats with Turkish notation: One is that is is normally noted a
4th above the sounding pitch.  And common AEU (Arel-Ezgi-Uzdilek) swaps the
sharp sign for a microtonal sharp.

> All the Gould and Stein-Zimmermann accidentals currently contained in
> Bravura/Dorico are in scope.

You mean i LilyPond? What version.

> Nice to know that somebody will be going to actually use them. ;)
> My samples shown in this thread are far from showing the complete set,
> though.

It is a nice application.