iiwusynth-devel

[iiwusynth-devel] Todo for release

From: Josh Green
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] Todo for release
Date: 07 Feb 2003 18:50:43 -0800

It sounds like Peter Hanappe's current plans are to release a version of
FluidSynth before mid March (when the LAD conference is happening). I
wanted to help get things rolling by putting together a TODO list. I'll
start by posting things I think should be on there.

- Commit improved sample management code in Peter's local code tree :)
I'd like to have a look at this to make sure it covers what I need.

- API rename? Should we change all instances of iiwu->fluid? Now may be
the best time to do this, since we have already broken the API from
previous versions. Perhaps a new "fluidsynth" Savannah project should be
started? Don't really need to think about that now though.

- Ensure API is complete enough (special attention given to new settings
API) and go into API lock down?
  - In particular, should accessor macros (such as
    iiwu_sfont_get_name) be moved to public headers?
    Also check for other useful functions that should be public.

- Make "alsa_seq" the default MIDI implementation when ALSA is
available, rather than "alsa" which is the RAW MIDI driver. Or maybe
even better would be to rename "alsa_seq" to "alsa" and make "alsa" ->
"alsa_raw"?

- Check default Reverb/Chorus presets (compare with a SoundFont
compliant device, such as EMU8k, I don't think EMU10k has support for
either of these effects in Linux). Perhaps not necessary for this
release.

As far as setting a synthesis standard.. I don't think that is critical
for this release. Synthesis changes can be made at a later time without
breaking the API, although we should make it evident to users that
things may change for instruments that are created using FluidSynth.

So please post any TODO suggestions as well as discuss what I have
listed here. We can then update the TODO file in CVS so we can check
things off :) Cheers.
        Josh Green