iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Re: [Rosegarden-devel] Not all Linux stuck notes

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Re: [Rosegarden-devel] Not all Linux stuck notes are Rosegarden...
Date: 07 Feb 2003 15:07:16 -0800

On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 13:11, Chris Cannam wrote:

> OK, you've prompted me to try this out too (the fact that I've just
> acquired a MIDI keyboard doesn't hurt either).
>
> I notice no problems when connecting the MIDI keyboard to either
> ZynAddSubFX 1.0.4 or an offboard synth via ALSA with kaconnect --
> without a sequencer application or JACK.
>
> But when I connect it directly to iiwusynth 0.2.2 that way, I get very
> frequent stuck notes (using some patch with slow decay, like a
> cello).  Even more weirdly, every time I hold down a key, the note
> actually restarts repeatedly and regularly about 3-4 times a second
> -- it sounds like I'm pressing the key very regularly without
> releasing it in between.  Every single note.  I have never heard this
> effect with other synths, and it doesn't happen when playing to
> iiwusynth from Rosegarden.  It also doesn't seem to depend on the
> soundfont I have loaded.
>
> (The keyboard is an Evolution MK-225C, and the soundcard is a basic
> AMD768 on-motherboard chipset which I think uses the intel 8x0
> driver.  I'm not sure what version of ALSA is installed -- it's the
> one shipped with SuSE 8.1.)
>

> Chris

This was a bug in the FluidSynth (old name iiwusynth) ALSA sequencer
code (my bad actually, details: unhandled MIDI events were causing the
previous MIDI event to be resent, this included real time MIDI events
which some keyboards send). Its been fixed for a while in CVS. Current
plans are to release a new version of FluidSynth within the next month,
for now you'll have to get the CVS to fix this. Also of note is that the
API has been broken from version 0.2.2, so programs that use FluidSynth
as a shared library will most likely not work. The exception being Swami
CVS which should be fine (until we break the FluidSynth API again :)
Cheers.
        Josh Green