iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] iiwusynth on OSS

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] iiwusynth on OSS
Date: 27 Jan 2003 12:57:18 -0800

On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 02:36, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On 24 Jan 2003 12:03:02 -0800
> Josh Green <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> > It looks like the audio thread is running so it should be able to
> > make a sound if you tell it to :) The lack of MIDI control means
> > that an external MIDI device wont work. How are you planning on
> > sequencing FluidSynth (iiwusynth)?
>
> I was planning to get some sound from Rosegarden, MusE and Swami at
> last :-)

I know MusE and Swami use FluidSynth as a plugin so they should work
fine with OSS. Not sure about Rosegarden though.

> > You can test the audio output with the following commands ('>' is
> > the FluidSynth prompt):
> >
> > > noteon 0 60 127
> > > noteoff 0 60
>
> address@hidden avp]$ iiwusynth -m oss -r 44100 -R off -C off
> cvs/iiwusynth/sf2/VintageDreamsWaves-v2.sf2 > noteon 0 60 127
>

>From what you typed there it looks like you did "> noteon 0 60 127" on
the bash command prompt? In that case you'll probably find a "noteon"
file in the directory where you executed it :) The "noteon 0 60 127"
should be typed at the FluidSynth prompt after it starts up.

> iiwusynth: warning: Failed to pin the sample data to RAM; swapping
> is possible.
> iiwusynth: warning: Ignoring sample SineWave: can't use
> ROM samples
> iiwusynth: warning: Ignoring sample SINEHI: too few
> sample data points
> iiwusynth: warning: Couldn't set high priority
> scheduling for the audio output/dev/midi: No such file or directory
>
> > If you wan't a virtual keyboard as well as a SoundFont editor, you
> > could give Swami a try (you'll need to use Swami CVS with
> > FluidSynth CVS). Also, if you want to sequence FluidSynth via
> > another program, you probably wan't to look into installing ALSA
> > which has a very nice sequencing system. Cheers.
>
> I have already given it a try (long time ago, actually - as it was
> smurf yet) :-) Thanks anyway :-)

Certainly.. Does it work for you yet? Cheers.
        Josh Green