iiwusynth-devel

[iiwusynth-devel] Re: [Swami-devel] Swami ported to win32 :)

From: Josh Green
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] Re: [Swami-devel] Swami ported to win32 :)
Date: 16 Jun 2002 23:28:36 -0600

On Sun, 2002-06-16 at 02:21, Peter Hanappe wrote:
> Josh Green wrote:
> > In the last 2 days I ported Swami to win32 by cross compiling it on
> > Linux with mingw32 and testing it with wine :) I removed iiwusynth and
> > audiofile temporarily as I'm not sure how to get these to work. After
> > working out several different quirks, it appears to be working okay
> > (tested it on a really slow, pentium 133, win32 machine as wine is a bit
> > broken in this regard, although it works well enough to debug).
>
> That's really great, Josh. I like your development environment, too.
> I should give Wine a try. Do you have windows binaries available?
> I can give Swami a try on my machine.

I too, like my development environment :) Its really cool to be able to
create a windows binary without having anything by M$ installed, he he.
I've been wanting to make Swami more portable, but was not looking
forward to using a win32 machine.
I'll put a binary up soon. I did experience some sample corruption
sometime during the testing process. I'd like to make sure I know what
this is (I suspect its a problem shared with the Linux version),
although you could of course have one before then :) I'm not really sure
how I'm going to handle things like installation, additional libraries
(GTK, glib, libiconv, libintl and libpng) and such. Swami + libraries is
quite large (5-6MB), although I haven't tried compiling Swami without
debugging yet.
What platform should I build for next :) PPC Linux? BSD? Mac OS X? Guess
I'll actually need a machine for that (although perhaps the SourceForge
compile farm has a PPC machine).

> > It appears that iiwusynth isn't set up for mingw32 is that correct?
>
> No. I just recently got interested in mingw32. I still use MS Visual C++
> on windows. I must admit that I like VC++ a lot for debugging.

Yeah, the winedbg debugger leaves much to be desired. Its not all that
bad, and I can usually figure out whats going on, but gdb is much more
powerful and easier to use. For some reason all my debugging symbols are
broken with winedbg too, haven't quite figured out whats causing this
(I'm just using '-g' for gcc).
If you need any help getting iiwusynth to work with mingw, I might be
able to help, in fact I actually started to try and get things to work
compiling iiwusynth with mingw (haven't given it much effort though). I
was quite impressed by the speed in which I was able to get things
working with Swami. Just a few undefined routines/vars (snprintf,
rindex, mkstemp and ssize_t), mkdir has one less arg (no permission
parameter), 'rename' won't replace files, and the default 'open'
semantics are quite lame (opens files in DOS text mode unless O_BINARY
is given, blah!)

> > Any
> > tips on how I can go about getting it linked with Swami?
>
> I can send you a .lib and a .dll file of iiwusynth for windows. You'll
> have to wait till monday, though.

Cool, no problem. I've got other things I'm doing too :) Right now I'm
working on GtkCanvas based graph editing of generators (visual
envelopes, sine waves, etc). I want to make it so one can add as many
generators as they want to the widget, so one could say set values for
different zones in the same instrument or take a parameter from several
different zones/instruments and graph them. I'd like to make this into a
waveform modeler as well, where one could draw the waveform they want
with segments of lines, splines and free-form as well as enabling higher
quality rendering of waveforms into other pitches (model a waveform then
use a function to generate new pitched waveform, don't know if this
would improve quality much though).

Lates..
        Josh