iiwusynth-devel

[iiwusynth-devel] Iiwusynth: Testing

From: M. Nentwig
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] Iiwusynth: Testing
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 14:57:43 +0300

Hello all,

I had an extended iiwusynth-testing session yesterday, and the good news
is that there aren't any.
Well, actually even some good news: I once commented, that there is
excessive quantization noise, when piano notes are fading out. I tracked
this down, it is a problem with the maestro3 driver. So iiwusynth works
just fine on 16 bits, every one of them :-)
Also, I tried a couple of GM files. I finally found a decent GM sound
font (fluid.sf2,  >> 100 MB); in comparison the original wavetable SW
synthesizer that came preinstalled sounds really pale.
The only problem: Users of Iiwuplay are in for a nasty surprise. Looks
like it doesn't handle pitch bend correctly. I used
Cakewalk on another computer, and later Muse (with a cable MIDI 1 out =>
MIDI 2 in).

And finally, unrelated: I found out, that the Edirol UA-1A USB audio
interface works with the standard audio.o driver that comes with the
kernel (OSS). Works just fine, no perceivable latency - I'll measure
that anyway -, very little CPU load. Hopefully my audio interface
troubles are a thing of the past now.

Cheers

Markus

Here are the MIDI files: