hydra-users

Re: add wget to hurd build?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: add wget to hurd build?
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 21:52:45 +0100

Hi Simon!

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> skribis:

[...]

>> Bear in mind that the image is still rough on the edges, and not as
>> featureful as the Debian and Arch GNU/Hurd distros (OTOH, it’s much
>> cooler.)
>
> So far the only thing I noticed is that login security seems a bit
> relax.  At least I was able to login as root with any password.  However
> considering history maybe that is how GNU is intended to work...

Ah ah!  I investigated a bit, and it turns out to have a simple
explanation.

In the image, ‘root’ has an empty password.  However, the ‘login’
program cannot know it, and what it always does is ask the user for a
password, then pass that password on to the password server in the
‘password_check_user’ RPC.  The password server actually checks what’s
in /etc/shadow, notices the empty password, and then replies to the
‘login’ program saying it’s OK.

> Is this list the best place to discuss features and behaviour of the GNU
> image?  I think it has potential to go beyond Hydra within the GNU
> community.

I think it’s a good place for that, but we could also (ab)use
address@hidden, though that touches a very small niche of the “GNU
community”.  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.