hydra-users

Re: add wget to hurd build?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: add wget to hurd build?
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 17:52:07 +0100

Hi Simon,

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> skribis:

> I noticed this great announcement:
>
> https://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=7024
>
> I guess the GNU project has never been closer to releasing a working OS :-)

Indeed!

> Using this for testing various software seems like a good use of it,
> however I find it is difficult to get software into the virtual machine
> -- would you consider adding 'wget' to the build as well?  Or some other
> suggestion?

Since this is a popular request[*], I’ve done that.  Networking is
configured for the default QEMU/KVM settings, so it should just work.

So there’s wget.  But running wget is not so trendy.  Instead, you can
enjoy GNU’s unprecedented feature set like this:

  $ cp /ftp:/ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gnutls/gnutls-3.0.8.* ~

See <http://www.gnu.org/s/hurd/hurd/documentation/translator_primer.html>
for details on the magic involved.

Bear in mind that the image is still rough on the edges, and not as
featureful as the Debian and Arch GNU/Hurd distros (OTOH, it’s much
cooler.)

I’m planning to use it for automated tests on Hydra, but that will
require improvements to facilitate communication with the host OS.

Thanks!

Ludo’.

[*] That is, you’re the second person asking.