help-rcs

Re: RCS and checksum

From: Guido Sette
Subject: Re: RCS and checksum
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 19:45:13 +0200

On 2010, Sep 14, at 09:17 , Paul Eggert wrote:

> On 09/14/2010 12:01 AM, Guido Sette wrote:
>> I "intuitively" know how the system works, but it is not clear to me the
>> steps required
>> to inject a checksum for each revision (As a comment into the file itself?
>> As a separate file?).
>
> It could be done either way.  The comment could be inserted with "ci -m'put
> your checksum here' file".
> A separate file could be maintained in parallel with the original.  Perhaps
> the comment would
> be simpler.

Thank you for the pointers.

For now, this short bash script I concocted seems to work.

Any checksumming could be used instead of md5.

############################

#! /bin/bash
#
# cimd5.sh file_name "log message"
#
# file_name gets expanded with $1
# "log message" gets expanded with $2
# and appended right after the md5 checksum.
#
# Any other option to ci can of course be appended

checksum=`md5 -q $1`
eval "ci -m'$checksum $2'" $1

Any advice on how to improve that approximative code?

Now, if only I could find a way to automatically verify the checksum at
checkout...

Thanks again,

Guido Sette